Saw this posted on my facebook this morning and just had to share. It continually amazes me how many people here on tumblr and elsewhere in the world continue to think the answer to racism is more racism…or that racism against white people is somehow “justified” or “doesn’t count as racism.”
Not only do white people think you’re full of shit, but so do your fellow POC.
Watch the video it is really good.
get outta here, birdie!!
Here’s the thing tho, racism against white people = hurt feelings
Racism against Black people = getting killed for going to the store to get a snack, getting arrested for buying a belt with your own hard earned money are the two really the same ?
I’ve read other articles of kids having to quit school over racist bullying, and I grew up in an all black middle school, as a kid of mixed race having to deal with bullying. No, it wasn’t just “hurt feelings.” It was me, walking into my school every day thinking to myself “Maybe they won’t give me as much shit today. Maybe nobody will physically assault me today. Maybe if someone does physically assault me today the teacher will notice this time and witness that I didn’t start the confrontation and I won’t get suspended for it this time.”
I was actually half black, and I was bullied for “acting white” in middle school. We also had like a dozen white kids throughout the school, and those of them that didn’t “act black,” well, I can’t even imagine how they were treated. I recently reconnected with a white friend who went to the same school as me and it didn’t even occur to me ‘til I started talking to her how terrible that school was for her because she was white.
Whether racism against white people leads to hurt feelings or death, it’s still bad. You must be seriously deficient if you cannot see that. For fuck’s sake! Oh, you only care about racism when it negatively effects people of color? You only hate white racists? Why don’t you go on over to stormfront.org and see how they react to instances of racism against white people. Witness how your hatred only fuels their hatred for people of color. And the next time some white racists do some horrible shit, you tell me that racism against white people has no effect. You explain to me how our hatred didn’t justify to them their hatred for us time and time again, and help spread their hateful ideology. You just sit there with a straight fucking face and you tell me that.
But the consequences overall of a Person of Color making fun of a white person for their skin color vs a white person making fun of a POC for their skin color are not equal. While I’m not saying that POC insulting white people due to skin color is particularly great (but I’m not here for tone-policing), there tends to be worse effects for People of Color as a whole when taunted by white people.
By using only individual to individual cases only (such as the link provided in the argument above me), it diminishes the importance of how some groups are treated worse than others. Basically, it really sounds like you’re saying that we should not pay attention to the fact that People of Color are discriminated more often than white people in the U.S. due to their skin color, because there are a few instances where white people are treated terribly, so racism must affect us all equally. And it doesn’t. I have no qualms about saying that white people, whether they want to or not, benefit from racism in the U.S. That’s their privilege.
Racism against white people DOES have a lesser effect, btw, at least in the US. White people here are not only the majority, but are the ones most in power of practically everything. So when a POC says something bad about white people, it doesn’t nearly affect white people as much, because why would white people (the ones mostly in control) let themselves get discriminated against? They wouldn’t, of course. But if a white person says something bad about People of Color, devastating effects could happen to POC, because many white people simply wouldn’t care what’s said about POC. I mean, said comments are not in relation to them, so why would that matter if it wouldn’t affect them?
tl;dr: Sorry, but racism against white people =//= racism against POC
you were born to impress no one but yourself
"I’m not vaccinating my kids because they’ll build up immunity naturally anyway"
Excuse me, when I was born I reacted badly to the first round of injections given to me and didn’t have anymore - and I have never had an injection at any other point in my life. I’ve never had any serious illness in my life.
It’s the parents’ decision whether their young children have injections or not, not someone on the freaking internet.
It is well established that a small percentage of the population is unable to receive vaccinations for various medically valid reasons. The reason you did not get sick despite not being vaccinated is that you were protected by herd immunity. Herd immunity means that if enough people are vaccinated, diseases are much less likely to gain a foothold in the population due to there being very few available hosts. Those diseases, unable to find enough hosts to multiply and mutate, die off quickly and do not present a threat to the general population. Once vaccination levels begin to drop, however, herd immunity no longer protects those who are unable to be vaccinated (very young infants, those with immune deficiencies, those who are allergic to the inert contents of vaccines, etc…). As someone who is unable to be vaccinated, you should be urging everyone who is able to receive vaccines to get them. All of those people are what is standing between you and vulnerability to many deadly but preventable diseases. This is why vaccines are a public health issue, not a frivolous personal choice.
no phone don’t autocorrect my i’s to capitals i need to look cool & casual for the internet
am I the only person who says ‘ow’ in surprise even if what happened didn’t remotely hurt me
Note: All hospitals in Canada will provide abortions.
- Alberta Health Services, Peter Lougheed Centre, Calgary
- Kensington Clinic, Calgary
- Women’s Health Options, Edmonton
- Women’s Services Clinic, Kelowna General Hospital, Kelowna (250-980-1399)
- CARE Program, BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre, Vancouver
- Elizabeth Bagshaw Women’s Clinic, Vancouver
- Everywoman’s Health Centre, Vancouver
- Willow Women’s Clinic, Vancouver
- Vancouver Island Women’s Clinic, Victoria
- Morgentaler Clinic, Fredericton
Newfoundland and Labrador:
- Morgentaler Clinic, St. John’s
- Stanton Territorial Hospital, Yellowknife
- Baffin Regional Hospital, Iqualuit (867-979-7352)
- Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Termination of Pregnancy Unit, Halifax (902-473-7072)
- Hamilton Health Services
- Grand River Hospital, Freeport Health Center, Kitchener
- London Health Sciences Centre
- Morgentaler Clinic, Ottawa and Toronto
- Bay Centre for Birth Control, Toronto
- Cabbagetown Women’s Clinic, Toronto
- Choice in Health Clinic, Toronto
- Scott Clinic, Toronto
- Women’s Care Clinic, Toronto
- Brampton Women’s Clinic, Brampton
- Mississauga Women’s Clinic, Mississauga
- Bloor West Village Women’s Clinic, Toronto
Prince Edward Island:
- There is at least one doctor who offers the abortion pill (up to 9 weeks gestation), but his identity remains unknown. Most PEI patients travel to Queen Elizabeth II Hospital - Termination of Pregnancy Unit in Halifax, Nova Scotia (902-473-7072). Physician and hospital costs are covered by PEI, but travel and other expenses are the patient’s responsibility.
- Centre de Santé des Femmes, Montréal
- CLC des Faubourgs, Montréal (514-527-9565 x2385 - English number)
- Clinique Médicale l’Alternative, Montréal
- Clinique Morgentaler, Montréal
- Clinique Médicale Femina, Montréal
- Whitehorse General Hospital, Whitehorse
Other - Counseling, Support, etc
This is wonderful!
Cry Like A Ghost - Passion Pit
Right back where you came from
You’re a pendulum
Heartbroken and numb
friendships don’t matter in mario kart
The experiment mentioned is available in full HERE.
reblog if girls are hella